Feet

Feet

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Horizontal Life (aka Bed Rest)

Last week, I had an ultrasound appointment to check the length of my cervix (something they check often when you're expecting multiples).  Turns out mine had shortened .  The nurse practitioner sat me down to inform me that I was not going back to work and I needed to head to the hospital right then. I don't think that this news really sunk in for quite a while.  I just obeyed orders and drove to the hospital.

Once I got checked in, things started to become a little more real.  These babies could be coming into the world at only twenty-four weeks!  That's too soon!! Thankfully, my OB/GYN and the hospital staff were able to get my contractions under control and after monitoring me for a few days, they sent me home, where I made myself comfy on the couch.  And stayed there.

I had my cervix measured again Monday.  And guess what-it's even shorter already!  Come on body! Keep it together!

The doctor sent me back to the hospital.  I'm at a different hospital this time.  This one has a whole area for women in danger of pre-term labor and is better equipped for premature babies.

I was a bit freaked out by everything when the doctor gave me the scoop on our current situation and how it could play out.  In fact, I almost passed out.  But as we made the decision to have him perform a cerlcage (cervical stitch) operation, Tim and I both felt like everything would work out.  And it has. It turns out that the doctor who is taking care of me is famous for his work with twins, triplets, and quads. People fly from all over the country to be under the care of Dr. John Elliott.  And I just ended up with him because my high-risk doctor is out of town.  He did an awesome job on my operation and has been taking excellent care of me.  Now, I am just waiting for him to tell me when I can leave this hospital bed for my own bed again.

These past few weeks have been filled with bummers (not getting to say bye to my class and cancelling our trip to Utah), but there have definitely been an abundance of blessings. So many people have been taking great care of me.  My amazing friends and family brought me non-hospital food and tons of games and books to keep me from going crazy. A bunch of awesome friends at my school worked together so that my third graders would be well taken care of (including handling a bunch of girls crying their eyes out).  My cute nephew even prayed that the babies and I would be strong enough to break the earth. Tim has been beyond amazing. I'm so lucky to have him as my husband.  During my first trip to the hospital, he brought me some awesome gifts:

 M&Ms: Convalescent Edition

A Comfort Duck

It's Guaranteed!

Even though nothing has worked out as planned this past week, I am still optimistic for the future.  I would much rather spend my last few months of pregnancy at school than in a horizontal position by myself most of the time, but I know that this is what's best for my two little girls.  I'm so excited to meet them, but I can definitely wait to meet them.




I should be well taken care of through the holidays, but if anyone wants to call or stop by anytime during the next few months, I'm all for interacting with other humans. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment