Feet

Feet

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Story of a Book

I belong to a book club.  And I am so grateful that I do.  First off, I get to meet with awesome women every month (well, we won't get into my attendance record, but the opportunity is there to go every month).  Also, I am always being introduced to new books that I never would have come across on my own.  I don't think I had ever read a memoir before book club and now that's one of my favorite genres.

One of the books that our club recently read is All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.  I've been trying to not buy books lately, so I checked out the availability from my library.  Apparently, other people have heard of this book, too.  I signed up for every possible version of the book (book, ebook, and audio CD).

After lots of waiting, the CDs became available from the library.  I eventually was hooked, but had to return the CDs since I was going on a long vacation (I do not recommend listening to an audio version of this book.  It was a bit confusing to keep track of characters and dates).

When I got back from vacation, my ebook was ready.  I fell even more in love with the story and the characters.  I got about 90% through the book and my loan ended (no renewals with ebooks). Boo.

At this point, I said, "Why didn't I just buy this book in the first place? I'll just get it now." My husband discouraged me from doing so in the interest of saving money.

More waiting.

The CDs became available again, so I resumed listening to the story.

When I was on the final chapter, a package arrived in the mail.  The book!! My own nice, hardback copy of All the Light We Cannot See. How did this happen?  Turns out that my awesome husband had ordered it for me way back when the eBook disappeared from my Kindle.  For some reason, it took forever to arrive.  Now it was here.  The thing that I had wanted all along.  And I only had pages left to read.  Even if I didn't get to read much of it, he still earned major husband points.  Plus, now I can lend it to other people or read it again.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are blogging. Your posts are well-written. This one actually had me frowning when Tim quashed your desire for your own copy of a book you love. Then I smiled! He is the sweet guy I always thought him to be, after all.

    ReplyDelete