Feet

Feet

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The End of a Chapter


I turned in the keys to my classroom yesterday.  I was really excited because I had finally finished the monumental task of cleaning out the room.  There were definitely other feelings present, though.  After nine years of teaching third grade at the same school, I no longer have a room to call my own.  I can't just let myself in the building anymore.  Of course, I'm welcome to visit.  As a visitor.  It's just so strange.

I haven't been able to teach since December due to bed rest/babies, but as I spent too many hours at the school this week, it just seemed so natural.  That's what I do. I walk up and down those halls, greeting familiar faces. I attend faculty meetings.  I hunt for worthwhile resources.  I teach a group of students all year.  We clean and pack up the room for the summer.  Repeat.  Only not this time.  My resignation letter has been submitted and another teacher is taking my place.

It's a very coveted place.  Being a part of the third grade team is where it's at. I've worked with the best group of women over the years.  They're the hardest ones to leave.  Yes, I'll miss the kids, but I just love my team.  I couldn't have asked for better people to work with.  They are amazing.

I didn't realize how much I was going to miss Meridian until I watched a video from this year's 6th grade graduation. It's not just about the boy giving the speech.  It's about all the people in the school who worked together so that he and his classmates could feel proud to call Meridian their home. So, thanks for everything, Meridian. You have taught me so much.   

And finally, two lists:

Things I'm Not Going to Miss
1) Long hours
2) Parents who aren't supportive
3) Squishies (ridiculous toys they sell at school)
4) Grading
5) Tests, tests, tests
6) Sub plans
7) Rainy Day Schedule


Things I Will Miss
1) When kids 'get it'
2) Playing tether ball at recess
3) Field trips
4) Good news/bad news sharing time
5) Lunch with other teachers
6) Gift Cards
7) Kids getting upset when I close our chapter book during read aloud time
8) Meet the Teacher night
9) Dancing like a fool in front of my class
10) Seeing how much kids can improve

It was a great teaching career.  Now, for my next chapter-teaching these cuties:






No comments:

Post a Comment